[L. habitus, state, style ]
1. A motor pattern executed with facility following constant or frequent repetition; an act performed at first in a voluntary manner but after sufficient repetition as a reflex action. Habits result from the passing of impulses through a particular set of neurons and synapses many times.
2. A particular type of dress or garb.
3. Mental or moral constitution or disposition.
4. Bodily appearance or constitution, esp. as related to a disease or predisposition to a disease.
SYN: SEE: habitus
5. Addiction to the use of drugs or alcohol.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Habit." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Taber's Online, www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/747455/all/habit.
Habit. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/747455/all/habit. Accessed May 27, 2023.
Habit. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/747455/all/habit
Habit [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 May 27]. Available from: https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/747455/all/habit.
TY - ELEC
T1 - habit
ID - 747455
ED - Venes,Donald,
BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary
UR - https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/747455/all/habit
PB - F.A. Davis Company
ET - 24
DB - Taber's Online
DP - Unbound Medicine
Try the app for free!
1. Download the Taber's Online app by Unbound Medicine
2. Select Try/Buy and follow instructions to begin your free 30-day trialYou can cancel anytime within the 30-day trial, or continue using Taber's Online to begin a 1-year subscription ($39.95)