To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
1. The condition or sensation of being hot; opposite of cold.
2. Higher than normal body temperature; generalized fever or localized warmth caused by an infection. Calor (fever), dolor (pain), rubor (redness), and tumor (swelling) are the four classic signs of inflammation.
SEE: febrile convulsion; SEE: fever
4. Energy that increases the temperature of surrounding tissues or objects by conduction, convection, or radiation. SEE TABLE: Elimination of Body Heat
Elimination of Body Heat
|Mode of Elimination||Percentage of Heat Lost|
|Convection and conduction||15%*|
|Evaporation through skin||25%*|
|Warming inspired air|| 3%*|
|Warming ingested food and water, and loss through feces and urine|| 2%*|
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Heat." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Taber's Online, www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738690/all/heat.
Heat. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738690/all/heat. Accessed June 6, 2023.
Heat. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738690/all/heat
Heat [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 June 06]. Available from: https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738690/all/heat.
TY - ELEC
T1 - heat
ID - 738690
ED - Venes,Donald,
BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary
UR - https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738690/all/heat
PB - F.A. Davis Company
ET - 24
DB - Taber's Online
DP - Unbound Medicine
Try the app for free!
1. Download the Taber's Online app by Unbound Medicine
2. Select Try/Buy and follow instructions to begin your free 30-day trialYou can cancel anytime within the 30-day trial, or continue using Taber's Online to begin a 1-year subscription ($39.95)