To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[L. radiatio, a shining]
1. The process by which energy is propagated through space or matter.
2. The emission of rays in all directions from a common center.
3. Ionizing rays used for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes. Two types of radiation therapy are commonly used for patients with cancer: teletherapy and brachytherapy.
4. Any form of radiant energy emission or divergence, as of energy in all directions from luminous bodies, radiographical tubes, particle accelerators, radioactive elements, and fluorescent substances.
5. In neurology, a group of fibers that diverge from a common origin.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Radiation." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Taber's Online, www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738051/all/radiation.
Radiation. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738051/all/radiation. Accessed May 28, 2023.
Radiation. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738051/all/radiation
Radiation [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 May 28]. Available from: https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738051/all/radiation.
TY - ELEC
T1 - radiation
ID - 738051
ED - Venes,Donald,
BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary
UR - https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/738051/all/radiation
PB - F.A. Davis Company
ET - 24
DB - Taber's Online
DP - Unbound Medicine
Try the app for free!
1. Download the Taber's Online app by Unbound Medicine
2. Select Try/Buy and follow instructions to begin your free 30-day trialYou can cancel anytime within the 30-day trial, or continue using Taber's Online to begin a 1-year subscription ($39.95)