Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary Online + Mobile powered by Unbound Medicine. Find 65,000 medical and nursing definitions. Download to iPhone, iPad, and Android. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
[L. radiatio, a shining]
1. The process by which energy is propagated through space or matter.
2. The emission of rays in all directions from a common center.
3. Ionizing rays used for diagnostic or therapeutic purposes. Two types of radiation therapy are commonly used for patients with cancer: teletherapy and brachytherapy.
4. Any form of radiant energy emission or divergence, as of energy in all directions from luminous bodies, radiographical tubes, particle accelerators, radioactive elements, and fluorescent substances.
5. In neurology, a group of fibers that diverge from a common origin.