Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary Online + Mobile powered by Unbound Medicine. Find 65,000 medical and nursing definitions. Download to iPhone, iPad, and Android. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
[L. inductio, leading in]
1. The act or process of causing or producing, as of labor with oxytocic drugs in cases of uterine dysfunction.
2. The generation of an electric current in a conductor by electricity in another conductor nearby.
3. In embryology, the production of a specific morphogenic effect by a chemical substance from one part of the embryo to another.
SYN: SEE: evocation
4. In anesthesia, the period from the initial inhalation or injection of an anesthetic gas or drug until optimum level of anesthesia is reached.
5. Reasoning from the particular to the general.