Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary Online + Mobile powered by Unbound Medicine. Find 65,000 medical and nursing definitions. Download to iPhone, iPad, and Android. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
[L. generatio, a begetting, generating]
1. The act of reproducing offspring.
2. A group of animals or plants the same distance removed from an ancestor, as the first filial (F1) generation.
SEE: filial generation
3. The average period of time between the birth of parents and the birth of their children. This time could be 16 to 20 years in some cultures and 20 to 25 years in others. The time would also be different if only mothers were considered in computing this average, unless all marriages occurred between persons of the same age.
4. The production of an electric current.
5. In biomechanics, informatics, and pharmacology, a newly developed version of a previously used agent, e.g., a “second-generation antibiotic,” or a “third-generation valve.”