Taber’s Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary Online + Mobile powered by Unbound Medicine. Find 65,000 medical and nursing definitions. Download to iPhone, iPad, and Android. Explore these free sample topics:
-- The first section of this topic is shown below --
[ME streinen, fr. Fr. estreindere, fr. L. stringere, to draw tight]
1. To pass through, as a filter.
2. To injure by making too strong an effort or by excessive use.
3. Excessive use of a part of the body so that it is injured.
4. Trauma to muscles and tendons from violent contraction or excessive or forcible stretch. It may be associated with failure of the synergistic action of muscles.
5. To make a great effort, as in straining to have a bowel movement. This is done by means of the Valsalva maneuver, which increases intra-abdominal pressure and helps to expel feces.
6. Force applied per unit area. Tension, compression, or shear stress placed on a tissue leads to distortion of the structure and the release of energy.
7. Psychological trauma.