To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[Fr. cirurgerie, ult. fr. Gr. cheirurgia, handwork, surgery]
1. The branch of medicine dealing with manual and operative procedures to correct deformities and defects, repair injuries, and diagnose and cure certain diseases.
2. A surgeon's operating room.
3. Treatment or work performed by a surgeon.
SYN: SEE: operationLabeling of the leg, to prevent wrong-site surgery
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Surgery." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Taber's Online, www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/742734/all/surgery.
Surgery. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/742734/all/surgery. Accessed June 9, 2023.
Surgery. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/742734/all/surgery
Surgery [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 June 09]. Available from: https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/742734/all/surgery.
TY - ELEC
T1 - surgery
ID - 742734
ED - Venes,Donald,
BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary
UR - https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/742734/all/surgery
PB - F.A. Davis Company
ET - 24
DB - Taber's Online
DP - Unbound Medicine
Try the app for free!
1. Download the Taber's Online app by Unbound Medicine
2. Select Try/Buy and follow instructions to begin your free 30-day trialYou can cancel anytime within the 30-day trial, or continue using Taber's Online to begin a 1-year subscription ($39.95)