To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[L. bolus fr Gr. bolos, a lump]
1. A mass of masticated food ready to be swallowed.
2. A rounded preparation of medicine for oral ingestion.
3. A concentrated mass of a diagnostic substance given rapidly intravenously, such as an opaque contrast medium or an intravenous medication.
4. In radiology, a tissue-equivalent material placed on the surface of the body to minimize the effects of an irregularly shaped body surface. The dose at the skin surface tends to increase, minimizing the skin-sparing effect of megavoltage radiation.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Bolus." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Taber's Online, www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/739746/all/bolus.
Bolus. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/739746/all/bolus. Accessed June 3, 2023.
Bolus. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/739746/all/bolus
Bolus [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 June 03]. Available from: https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/739746/all/bolus.
TY - ELEC
T1 - bolus
ID - 739746
ED - Venes,Donald,
BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary
UR - https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/739746/all/bolus
PB - F.A. Davis Company
ET - 24
DB - Taber's Online
DP - Unbound Medicine
Try the app for free!
1. Download the Taber's Online app by Unbound Medicine
2. Select Try/Buy and follow instructions to begin your free 30-day trialYou can cancel anytime within the 30-day trial, or continue using Taber's Online to begin a 1-year subscription ($39.95)