To hear audio pronunciation of this topic, purchase a subscription or log in.
[L. sutura, a seam]
1. The line of union in an immovable articulation, as those between the skull bones or the articulation itself.
SYN: SEE: sutura
SEE: raphe; SEE: synarthrosis
2. An operation in which soft tissues of the body are united by stitching them together.
3. The thread, wire, or other material used to stitch parts of the body together.
4. The seam or line of union formed by surgical stitches.
5. To unite by stitching.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Venes, Donald, editor. "Suture." Taber's Medical Dictionary, 24th ed., F.A. Davis Company, 2021. Taber's Online, www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/suture.
Suture. In: Venes DD, ed. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/suture. Accessed June 9, 2023.
Suture. (2021). In Venes, D. (Ed.), Taber's Medical Dictionary (24th ed.). F.A. Davis Company. https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/suture
Suture [Internet]. In: Venes DD, editors. Taber's Medical Dictionary. F.A. Davis Company; 2021. [cited 2023 June 09]. Available from: https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/suture.
TY - ELEC
T1 - suture
ID - 737943
ED - Venes,Donald,
BT - Taber's Medical Dictionary
UR - https://www.tabers.com/tabersonline/view/Tabers-Dictionary/737943/all/suture
PB - F.A. Davis Company
ET - 24
DB - Taber's Online
DP - Unbound Medicine
Try the app for free!
1. Download the Taber's Online app by Unbound Medicine
2. Select Try/Buy and follow instructions to begin your free 30-day trialYou can cancel anytime within the 30-day trial, or continue using Taber's Online to begin a 1-year subscription ($39.95)